Guts UK/BSG Trainee Awards
The Guts UK/BSG Trainee Awards are 1-year grants of up to £5,000 for research or audit/QI on any area of gastroenterology. Individuals or networks can apply. This award call is now closed and applications will close reopen in June 2020.
Guts UK and the British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) are inviting applications under this programme, which is open to UK-based gastroenterology specialty trainees who would like to conduct research or audit/Quality Improvement in any area of gastroenterology (including pancreatology and hepatology) or nutrition.
Applications can be submitted by individual trainees (Individual Awards) or by collaborators within a network of trainees (Network Awards), though network application needs to name one lead applicant.
- The project must address an area of clinical need and have clear patient benefit.
- Pilot and feasibility work to enable larger grant applications will be considered.
- Applications for the network awards may be for new projects for existing networks or for the development of a project within a new research network.
- The project must be entirely based within the UK and for a period of one year only.
Up to four grants of up to £5,000 each will be made. Applications for amounts above £5,000 will be rejected. Two awards will be available for Individual Awards and two will be available for Network Awards.
All relevant non-capital project costs can be funded under this award. This can include, for example, network-related set up costs such as website, database expenses as well as project-related travel or volunteers expenses but excludes conference and training course attendance.
In order to assist with project start-up costs 50% of the grant will be paid at the start of the project and the remaining grant will be paid on receipt by Guts UK of the final report (subject to a satisfactory peer review) and a final financial reconciliation of the grant costs.
Please note: Guts UK supported projects are eligible for Clinical Research Network (CRN) support provided they meet NIHR’s standard study eligibility criteria and we would encourage applicants to consider this in the design and subsequent delivery of their project.
The successful project should be able to start within a maximum of six months of the date of the award. Ideally ethical approval, where necessary, will have been sought before the application is submitted but applications will be accepted before approval has been sought. However, funds will not be released until proof of ethical approval has been submitted for applications where ethical approval is required. A final report should be available to Guts UK within three months of completion.
Please note there is a separate online application form for individual and network application. Applicants should make sure that they complete the correct form.
TRAINEE AWARDS CRITERIA
Trainees who have an established project or fellowship that is fully funded are not eligible for this award unless the funding is to contribute to a separate piece of work which is distinct from their thesis. Details of other funding for related work must be provided on the application form.
- Applications should include a group of six or more trainees linked as a research network either within a region or nationally.
- The project has to be delivered from a network of at least six trainees from at least four independent trusts.
- A single senior applicant can be the chair of the research network with other trainees listed as co-applicants or collaborators.
- The lead applicant must be a gastroenterology trainee at a grade of specialty trainee, but co-applicants can be from all training grades as long as they are part of the research network working together.
- Agreement from a supervisor or mentor must be provided from the host institution that will administer the grant. The supervisor will be expected to oversee the project and must sign the application.
If you have questions about this funding opportunity or would like to sign up for research award updates, email email@example.com